Lagos State Senior Model College, Kankon, is located on Owode-Apa Road in Badagry Local Government area of Lagos State.
The school has the advantage of being closely bound by some public institutions. These institutions include: kankon Secondary School, Kankon, a Mini-Water Works of the Lagos State Government,
Badagry West Development Council Area Secretariat and The Nigerian Airforce Forward Base Nigeria.
The college was established on 18th February, 1988 by the Military Administration of Rear Admiral Mike Akingbe (Rtd) now late over a
parcel of land that covers 150 acres, surrounded by small towns and villages like Kese, Irosu, Igbogbele, Gedu, Seje, Kweme, Dado, Wesere etc.
It was eventually commissioned by General Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd) 8th June, 1988.
OBJECTIVES: The objectives of the founding fathers of the Model Colleges in Lagos State are as follows:
- To serve as positive catalyst for the restoration of qualitative education.
- To open up rural areas for development
- To decongest urban schools and resuscitate boarding schools.
- To promote national unity.
- To serve as role models for other schools.
Order of Principals
|Mr. B.O. Owoade
||1988 - 2005
|Chief Mrs. S.O.S. Olley
||2005 - 2011
|Mr. J.M. Ashaka
||2011 - 2013
|Mr. S. O. Fadahunsi
||2013 - to date
Lagos State Senior Model College, Kankon as a co-educational institution enjoys sound and cordial relationship with its community.
The school since its inception has maintained peaceful coexistence with the heads of communities and their citizens.
One of the cardinal objectives of establishing Model Colleges in Lagos State was to open up rural communities.
This objective without mincing words is being achieved. The positioning of the school has attracted other public institutions and infrastructure.
Some of these include:
- The Mini Water Work at Kankon
- The Badagry-West Local Council Secretariat
- Electrification of the Communities
Construction of road from Kankon to Kese to aid the building of a waste recycling centre by the Lagos State Government and recently, a
Federal Government Project, The Nigeria Airforce Forward Base, some metres away from the school.
The school also enjoys some sense of security with the presence of the Police and The Customs, a Para-military body.
The pleasant community relations of the college over the years has contributed immensely to security and conducive environment promoting teaching and learning.
The following infrastructures are available in the school:
- Ultra-Modern EKO Toilet for students (Governor's Award Project)
- EKO Assisted toilet facilities for students (male/female) and the staff.
- A big Computer Laboratory furnished with computers, accessories and other ICT equipment.
- EKO Botanical Garden for practical lessons in Biology and Agricultural Science
- EKO Mini Library – well equipped with textbooks on English, Mathematics and Biology.
- EKO Project Room – well furnished with various ICT gadgets, computers and accessories for audio-visual lessons.
- EKO Assisted furniture for students – these complements the government effort to provide adequate furniture for students.
- EKO Mathematics Laboratory– adequately equipped with complete Mathematics supplied by Mathematics Association of Nigeria (MAN), textbooks and furniture.
- Renovated Laboratory Roofs – to provide a good learning environment for the students during Biology lessons/practicals.
- EKO newly screeded 12 classroom floors to provide conducive classroom environment for teaching for teaching and learning processes.
EKO Science Projects – several excellent and award winning projects have been developed for technological advancement and creative intelligent growth of
- Automatic solar controlled sprinkler
- Coal Power Plant Model (clean coal) and others.
- EKO Biology equipment and textbooks – several Biology equipment such as microscope, model and so on are available for students use in the school.
- EKO ICT Equipment – different ICT equipments, computers and accessories are being used for teaching and learning processes.